Sunday, September 22, 2013

Invitation to the HOA Board

A Mesa Dunes Moment of Beauty
It's a common refrain:  Actions speak louder than words.

The HOA Board has repeatedly said they are not against conversion.  And yet their actions seem bent on stopping or slowing down the conversion.  Here are just a few of their actions that make me wonder why … 
  • Oppositional Petition - Just days after the first information meetings, Jeff McAlister knocked on my door wanting me to sign a petition in favor of SB 510.  (At the time, I had no idea what that was so I declined.)
  • Activist Lawyer Hired - Shortly thereafter, the HOA Board hired William Constantine, an attorney who is a known anti-conversion activist.  Constantine did not ask for clarification of the conversion process or make suggestions that would have improved the incentives for potential buyers or protections for those who want to continue renting. Instead, he immediately attacked the details of the survey process as well as the integrity of Gilchrist & Rutter ... a standard activist ploy.
  • Hostility at Meetings - At the first HOA Board-initiated meeting, which was billed as being "open to all," the board responded with hostility when they found out I had invited Susy Forbath. I invited her because I thought it was important to have as much information in the room as possible. One person in the room even called me a liar for saying I had invited her.  He claimed, quite loudly, that the owner had sent her.
  • Misinformation about Appraisal Method - After being repeatedly told that the appraisal method would NOT be the "residual method," in the latest HOA Board-initiated meeting, Jeff McAlister explained in great detail the pitfalls of the residual method of appraisal and how it might reduce the value of residents' homes, never mentioning that it wasn't the method that would be used.
  • Alternative Surveys - In the second HOA Board initiated meeting, Jeff listed all the problems with the survey that was done to determine interest in the conversion and then proceeded to ask people to sign alternative letters so they could deliver them as a protest to the county during the public meetings that will be held. 
  • Fear & Misinformation - In that same meeting, Jeff read a letter from attorney David E. Loop (who is Vice-President ROP of GSMOL - Golden State Manufactured-Home Owners League).  The letter details a conversion in Long Beach, calling it an "unmitigated economic disaster."  This letter even scared me.  However, after calls to the assistant park manager of the park mentioned in the letter, the primary realtor active in the park, and the non-profit association that took over ownership of the park, a completely different picture emerged.  (See What Scares Me Most)
  • "Our Own Conversion" - In one of the small group meetings conducted by Susy Forbath, I suggested to Jeff that we put our energies into creating a better package of incentives and protections instead of this continuous debate about how the survey was done.  He replied that he wanted to stop this conversion "so we can do our own."  I was so shocked, I verified with several other people that I had heard this correctly.
  • Personal Attacks - After the first small group meeting which was attended by some of the HOA Board and others who seem to share their opinions, I was called "a plant of the owner" and told that I did not write this blog.  When I responded that I did, the person said that I might TYPE the words but Susy was writing them for me.  I was startled by his rudeness, however I spent many years in business so this stuff just rolls off my back.  The attackers now seem to be going after Susy Forbath.
Which brings me to my question of "why?"  Why is the Board saying they are not against conversion when their actions clearly show that they are? And, why are they mounting a campaign of fear, anxiety and mis-information? Why are they are working so hard ... going to Sacramento, carrying petitions around the park.

What are they trying to accomplish?

This forum is open to all.  I have repeatedly invited the HOA Board to share their ideas and opinions but was told that they had decided not to. That makes me wonder why they are afraid to share their thinking.  I believe in diversity … it's only by sharing information openly that we have all the information we need to make informed decisions.

The invitation is still open … HOWEVER … I have spent an enormous amount of time tracking down sources of information to offset the misinformation the Board is putting out.  I fact check everything that goes into this forum and will continue to do so.  I am always open to someone telling me that I have something wrong … I welcome information that shows me a different perspective or where I missed a beat.  So, if the Board submits solid information, I will print it ... however, I will not perpetrate mis-information.

The Board has not pointed out any errors or shared their objectives.  What I see so far is an attempt to block an option that many of us view as a way to protect our properties, share in potential real estate appreciation and live in a resident-owned park where we have more control over our futures.

I still don't understand why 
but it sure seems as if the HOA Board is trying to stop the conversion.

I want the option to purchase my lot ...  IF
 IF it's in a price range I can afford ... 
IF I can get financing ... 
IF protections are in place for the
residents who want to keep renting.

INVITATION TO THE BOARD ...

Please stop trying to block the conversion and
JOIN US
in working to make this conversion
a win-win for all involved.